Friday 29 January 2016

These Broken Stars - A Book Review

THESE BROKEN STARS
- Authors: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner 
- Publishing date: November 25, 2014
- Tags: YA, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Dystopian

These Broken Stars... well, I went in to this novel completely blind as to what it was about, as I avoided spoilers like the plague. Someone had previously said that this was basically like Titanic in space. While this is semi-accurate, it does not entirely describe what this book brings to it's readers.

These Broken Stares is a dual-point YA novel, set in a futuristic world where space travel is very normal, and space ships are as big and grand as your luxury cruise ships. I'll be honest - that's pretty much what I envisioned, except floating around in space...

The story follows Lilac, a rich daughter of one of the most powerful men in the 'galaxy', and Tarver, an 'war' hero, whose worlds come crashing together (lol) in an unexpected way. The story is rather unique and interesting, and it did capture my attention enough to have me read it in a few days, and as always with honest reviews, I will let you know that it was up and down in tempo of the story and so I struggled, though only a little.

Lilac and Tarver are both interesting characters, as they both come from entirely different backgrounds and each have very different motivating factors throughout the story. They interacted well at some times, where the dialogue was quite cute and witty, but at others I felt like rolling my eyes and giving them both a good talking to. You know how you do that sometimes with YA protagonists? Like: COME ONE, stop being so silly. READ THE ROOM! Well, I do...

Anyway, the story goes to places you would never expect, with a bit of paranormal mystery woven into what I expected to be sci-fi. This aspect I actually really enjoyed, as it was rather unique and I hadn't really read anything like that before. Some of the settings are also really cool and I enjoyed they way it was described as it really brought it to life for me.

Another interesting part of this book was the beginnings of each chapter, where you see Tarver being interviewed after everything has happened, so small bits of information is divulged to you slowly, which I greatly enjoyed!

FAVORITE QUOTE















MY RATING
- 3.5/5 stars - it was a good read, it entertained me, had interesting characters, and I would pick up the next book for sure. Would I recommend this? YES. :)

DESCRIPTION (as at Amazon.com)
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.


Pick up your own copy here: These Broken Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment